It comprises five sections:
1. Acquisition section
2. Circulation section
3. Reference section (for Arts and Science)
4. Computer Lab (for Students and Faculty Members)
5. Newspaper and Magazines section
6. Digital Library
Faculty Computer Lab
Housed with :
- 10 Computers with Internet and print out Facility.
- Usage of HEC Digital Library.
Students Computer Lab
Housed with :
- 41 Computers with Internet and print out Facility.
- Usage of HEC Digital Library.
University Photostat Shop
Housed with :
- 04 Photostat Machines.
- Colored and Black & White Print out Facility.
Central Library in housed in a separate building. Its contains of over "35000" books on different subjects including Computer Science and Information Technology, Business Administration, Mass Communication, Pharmacy, Life Physical Sciences Literature and other subjects.
Library promotes and supports Learning, Teaching and Research in the University, by developing and promoting access to Information Resources; and established links to the wider world of scholarship to promote the transfer of knowledge, by collaborating and cooperating with other departments.
Various sections of the Library design and conduct their respecting operations in accordance with these strategic aims when developing aims and objectives for their day-to-day activities and other projects.
General rules for library
- Users are expected to observe the following rules while using the Library services. Any violation of these rules incurs appropriate disciplinary action.
- Personal belongs such as handbags; brief cases, etc. are not allowed inside the library. Please check them in with the Guard outside the Library entrance. The Library is not responsible for any loss or damage.
- Submit any book or object for inspection, when requested by the Library staff.
- Do not write, underline or mark any book. Library books are carefully examined on return, and the Brower will be held responsible for damage of any sort.
- After reading, leave the books on the table.
- Complete silence should be observed except for brief and subdued with the Library Staff.
- Drinks and eatables are not allowed in the Library premises.
- Keeps your mobiles off and wimples (Abbaya) are not allowed within the Library premises.
- Do not change the configuration of Computers or any other equipment of the library.
- JUW's code of conduct must be observed while using IT application.
- One book can be borrowed from the library at one time.
- Books can be borrowed for maximum five days.
- There is no lending facility for reference books, Periodicals & newspaper.
- Photocopying facility for reference articles is available.
- Grouped studies should be carried out in the Study room / Classroom rather than in the library.
- Membership of the library will be canceled /suspend of that student who will disturb the silence of the library.
- Membership of the library can be canceled /suspend for a minimum period of 10 days, and this period can be increased in the discretion of the librarian.
- A list of suspended library users will be displayed at the notice boards.
- Suspended library users will deposit their library cards during the period of suspension and will not be allowed to enter the library premises.
- Decision of the librarian will be final.
- Any title in the leading section can be reserved in advance. Please make a request at the library desk. Reserved book will be held for a limited time.
- The following rules pertain to renewal of books.
- i) Book will not be renewed 2nd time.
ii) Reserved books will not be renewed.
- The following rules pertain to book lost /damage.
i) In case of damage, full price of the book will be charged.
ii) In case of loss, 200%price of the book will be charged.
iii) Marking, either with pen, pencil or highlighter, is not allowed.
The book will be inspected at the time of return. If books are found marked, Rs.25. Per mark will be charged.
i) Acquisition section:
b) Cataloging & Classification
c) Selection of Book Supplier or Vendor
d) Gifts or Donations
The Acquisition section plays an important role in the development collection. Acquisition means to acquire and process the library material after selection. It depends on the needs and demands of the faculty as well as other students and for the size of the material's budget. This will give the faculty a prominent role in selecting library materials. Argument base on the fact that.
i) Faculty of the Subject Expert
ii) Faculty is the Course Teachers.
iii) Faculty is the Researcher.
Demand is the basic factor in selection; these demands are collected from various sources;
- Complain register also displayed in the main entrance in Circulation and Reference Sections.
- The user's students write down their needs on it. That is a basic source to know the user's demands.
- Identify from the heads of the Institutes / Departments.
- Statistics relating to book's circulation (book cards).
- Suggestion from the reader.
- Suggestion from the library staffs working at the circulation counter.
b) Cataloging & classification:
All the book materials or non-book materials are Classify according to "Dewy Decimal Classification Scheme" 22nd edition and the AACR2 (Anglo American Cataloguing Rules 2) use for Cataloguing.
c) Selection of book supplier or vendor:
The Librarian selects a book supplier and vendor for the services provided as well as for the discount offer. Discount emphasized, and services suffer in a bit situation. If a bid situation required, we see on the list of approved vendors and book suppliers, and give an order to a reliable vendor and book suppliers according to their good services, as well as discount they offer. After receiving documents, we check all bibliographical details from the documents according to the order form. Such as Author, Title, Edition,Publisher,Year,Bindings,ISBN,Price and discount offered by the book suppliers and vendors.
d) Gifts or donations:
We are receiving books and other materials as a gift or donation by various institutions or persons. Our donors are; HEC, Zubaida Islamia Kutub Khana, Pro.Dr. Riaz Ahmed Hashmi, Dr. Abd-ul- Salam, Ms Hira Manan, Sh. Abd-ul-Quddas, Abdur Rehman, Ms Raveeha Tariq, Ms. Gulnaz Altaf and Dr. Ahmed Shahzad Khan.
All requested users are entitled to borrow materials from the library. Borrowing privileges may differ depending on the membership category. The borrowing privileges for general books are:
|Teaching Staff||05 Books||15 days|
|Non- Teaching||05 Books||15 days|
|Students||01 Books||05 days|
On a special request, Librarian can issue additional books for a limited period of time to the faculty.
Circulation rules & regulation:
- A valid library card must be presented to check any library materials.
- Books may be renewed if another user has not reserved the desired book. Overdue books will not be renewed.
- Reference materials, Annual Reports, pamphlets, Current & Bound Periodicals and Newspapers cannot be issued .Those materials may be consulted within the library premises.
- If a book is accidentally misplaced and cannot be found after a thorough search, this has to be reported to the Circulation Desk immediately to avoid overdue fines.
- Library materials borrowed by any member are subject to recall if needed by the library.
- Books accidentally damaged should be reported so that suitable assessment can be made, and damages paid.
- In case loss of a student's Borrower's card, the student must report it immediately to the Librarian and obtain a new card by paying Rs.25/=. However the student is responsible for the books registered in his previous Borrower's Card.
- No certificate of any kind will be issued to students who fail to return the borrowed books and obtain No dues / clearance.
- Books are to be kept in good condition. No marking are to be made inside the books. In the case of any damage to or loss of a book the price of a book will be recovered from the students as per Library Rules.
Fine for Late Return:
- Regular books Rs.5/= per book, for per day charge.
- A fine of Rs.500/= will be charged upon the first-time violation. A fine of Rs. 1000/= will be charged upon the second-time violation. If a patron continues, the case will be referred to the university disciplinary committee.
The library has its own database named JLMS (Jinnah Library Management System). This Database has been designed by "IT Department" of the Jinnah University on SQL server 2000.
The Reference Section consists of two sub sections:
i) Reference Section:
"Reference section at the library has various books that are sources of information about different subjects. They include Dictionaries, Encyclopedia, Manuals and other informative books. Most books in the reference section may not be taken out, so that they are always available to those who need them" The general reference books in the library are the Dictionary, Atlas, Encyclopedias, Bibliography, and Gazetteer, Year book and Almanac and Maps.
Special Library Material:
JUW Library subscribed for foreign and local journals. Those are displayed in "Reference Section."
ii) Reading Room:
Reference Section has a "reading Room." Courses supported book are available in the reading room. All the the books are used within the premise of the "Reference Section."
The library also provides an internet facility only for the students. In order to keep the place with the advance communication technology in electronic information area, computer networking cell of "Jinnah University for Women "has established an Internet Lab for students and faculty. This section also provides printout and Photostat services.
- Internet Lab administrator shall check the ID cards of students.
- Only University students are eligible to use the Internet facility free of cost.
- The Internet may be used by students for 30 minutes only.
- Chatting, messaging and mobile messaging are not allowed.
- Users shall be penalized for browsing obnoxious materials.
JUW allows access to National digital library facilitated by HEC. It provides e-books, journals, articles on various disciplines which helps the researchers and students to get their required information easily. Link to HEC National digital library is: http://www.digitallibrary.edu.pk
v) Newspapers and magazines section
This Section contains newspapers, magazines, digest and other publications that are published on a periodic basis rather than just at one time. About 05, daily newspapers of both Urdu and English are subscribed for the library. On the increased demand from students, some magazines, novels and digests are subscribed. Novels are available in English and Urdu Languages.
Local Newspaper subscribed:
- Daily Dawn
- Business Recorder
- Daily Jang
- Jahan Pakistan
- Akbar-e-Jahan (weekly magazine Urdu)
- Family (weekly magazine Urdu)
- The Economist
Library Membership Card: Student Card:
Throughout the Academic year students, cards are issued at the Magazine Section from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m to register the students of the Jinnah University for Women (JUW). Students should bring the following when applying for the Library Card.
- Recent Photograph;
- Student ID card;
- Admission Slip;
Faculty Card Are issued at the Magazine Section from 9:00a.m. To 3:30p.m on working days. Faculty members are required to present copies of their appointment letters. Same rules applied for the non-teaching staff.